When Riga Central Market was first opened on 1930 it was the largest and the most progressive marketplace in Europe. At different times “Riga Central Market” has kept its place in the heart of Riga, providing a variety, personal service, malevolent and heartfelt stories, fun haggling and bright colors.
Since 1995, the Central Market has been a joint stock company with 100% of shares owned by Riga City Council having 72.3 thousand square metres of space and over 3000 trade stands each 1 to 100 square metres large. The market has five pavilions in the historical buildings – originally they were used as Zeppelin hangars. Every day the Central Market – vegetables, dairy products, meat, fish and grocery pavilions, open areas, manufactured goods market, night market and Farmer’s day-and-night.