Riga This Week - FREE RIGA CITY GUIDE made by locals since 1992
Tourism info


First mentioned in 1330, used to be called the Sand tower because it defended the city from the side of the Big Sand Road. The tower received its present name in the 17th century when it was used to store gunpowder and cannonballs. The latter are still stored in the outside walls of the tower!