On 22nd of August 2011 in the very heart of Old Riga – Doma Square 6 - the new Museum of Art “Riga Bourse” was opened. National architectural monument RigaBourse was built between 1852 and 1855 and created in Venetian Renaissance palazzo style, symbolising wealth and abundance. It was designed by the German born St. Petersburg architect Harald Julius von Bosse (1812 - 1894). The opulent interior with rich gilding and faux marble is at its best on the ground floor – in the Main Hall, the third and fourth floor galleries – the Western Gallery and the Oriental Gallery, and the fourth floor Festive Hall – with an exhibition of 16th-19th century paintings. For the first time in the history of the building all these rooms are fully open to the public.
Adapting the building to meet the needs of displaying the Latvian National Museum of Art collections of foreign art is an excellent solution for the future use of this cultural landmark. The size, character and significance of collections are fitting with the characteristics and layout of the rooms. Contemporary thinking museum matching the demands of international exhibition practice was created, with the utmost consideration towards the national architectural monument.