The Swedish Gate was added to the city`s old fortification wall in 1698 to celebrate the Scandinavian occupation of Riga. At the time the city`s executioner resided in the apartment above the gate. An exceedingly romantic and considerate fellow, he placed a red rose in his window the night before a good execution, duly notifying the sick and the curious public of the pending sordid act ? thoughtful, eh? A fragment of the fortification wall has been restored nearby on Torņu street.
More Tourism info > Old Riga
The house was named after the two black cats perched on the roof. At the turn of the century, the ...
House of Blackheads
First mentioned in 1334, the building was owned by the Great Guild. In the 15th century the house was...